Friday, September 4, 2009

HOWARD UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

Over the last month I have been a patient in the Howard University Hospital's Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Clinic. The treatment was for lower back pain. The cause: repeated lifting of my 20 pound toddler, and carrying him in his sling exclusively on my left hip. I can't say enough good things about the treatment I received in their clinic. 

I think this PT clinic is our neighborhood's best kept secret (you know, since everybody and their brother knows about Ben's Chili Bowl). Why go all the way to K Street for a service when you can stay in the neighborhood? I was always greeted by a kind reception staff who remembered my name, and asked me each time how Milo was doing. I never had to wait for my appointments, and could expect to see the same therapist at each session.  

I found it difficult to arrange for child care during these short visits, but we managed. On my second to last appointment, I had to bring Milo with me. I knew it was going to go one of two ways. Either he was going to sit in his stroller and play with his very favorite toys, or he was going to pitch a big fit and I was going to have to struggle through my therapy with him on my lap. Guess which way it went? 

He cried during the first 10 minutes of the session while I was lying on my stomach, unable to move while attached to a machine and under a heavy heating pad. It's a rule in this clinic that there are no children allowed. I didn't realize this was a rule--I thought it was more of a preference. After having gone through a session with an irritable child I understand why this rule is in place. Not only can the patient not effectively do her routine, but most importantly there is some pretty dangerous equipment hanging around.  

Milo's crankiness is what strengthened my relationship with my therapist and the technician. As it turns out they both love kids, but don't have any yet. At different times, one of them would sit with Milo and show him books, or give him a puppet show. It was so sweet. 

I think the overall attitude there is to help the patients reach their health goals. The goal for me was to be pain free and learn stretches to maintain a healthy back. My goals have been met in six sessions, and I feel such relief to know they are there if I need them again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment