Sunday, August 16, 2009

LATE NIGHT FLOUR MISSION

Yesterday morning we had friends over for brunch, and I made my standard quiche recipe. I made my crust, and the quiche was in the oven before I started to clean up. I noticed I wouldn't have enough flour to make a crust for this morning's quiche for a different set of friends coming over to show off their darling new baby. 

I looked around in the cabinets to be sure there wasn't flour hiding anywhere. I found some self-rising flour in my baking drawer, but my step-mother said it shouldn't be used in pastry. So, with that, I knew I needed to venture out at some point to get flour. First I tried the little corner market on Florida Ave. at Sherman Ave. across from my house. As it turns out, they only have small bags of the self-rising flour. 

Knowing I'd be going out to meet friends at the W Hotel downtown for drinks, I decided I would be able to pick some up on the way and disguise it in a trendy re-usable shopping bag! So off I went. First stop CVS at 10th and U, no flour. I walked in my tall wedge strappy sandals to Rite Aide on 13th and U, no flour. 

As I approached 14th St. I thought if a bus passes, I'll take it south to P St. and go to Whole Foods and take a cab from there. If there is no bus in sight, I'll go to the Best DC Supermarket between 15th & 16th on U. Sure enough, no bus. I think it's noteworthy that these were not exactly shoes meant for rushing on uneven sidewalks, although managed to keep myself upright. 

Success! The Best DC Supermarket had about 15 kinds of flour. I felt incredibly relieved, and knew I would be able to relax and enjoy my evening out knowing I had the flour for today's quiche. Check back in a couple of days for more on the rooftop terrace at the W Hotel.




No comments:

Post a Comment