Tuesday, August 11, 2009

TUESDAY PLAYGROUP

Back in April, I responded to a post on the U Street Tot's online forum seeking first time moms of children who were crawling, but not yet walking to join a Shaw/U Street neighborhood playgroup. I joined, and now our group consists of six, thirty-something women, four darling little girls, and two sweet boys all born with in a month or so of each other. 

This group came at a perfect time for me. At that point Milo was around 9 months old, and I was beginning to think a regularly scheduled group or class would do us both some good. For Milo, it would allow him to meet and play with other kids his age. Up to this point, his interaction with more than one child at a time was limited. 

For me, the ladies in this group offer support, reassurance, and friendship. I've learned so much from them, but also have learned about my child by watching him play and interact with his new little friends. We often meet in each other's homes, but weather permitting we meet in Westminster Park and sometimes we like to switch things up a bit and go to a pool or museum.

If you're not in a playgroup, I highly recommend it. Post something on one of the local neighborhood parent forums to get one started for your child's age group. If you need links to these neighborhood forums, please let me know!





No comments:

Post a Comment