Friday, August 21, 2009

MOM'S NIGHT OUT: DRINKS ON THE ROOFTOP OF THE W HOTEL














Last Saturday night I celebrated a friend's birthday atop the new W Hotel's rooftop terrace called P.O.V. (Point of View). With its incredible monument views, $15 dollar cocktails, and a sexily clad staff, this place was a scene. Before going there, I knew nothing about it, or its history of being the old Hotel Washington on the corner of 15 and E St. NW. 

When my cab pulled up I saw the growing line between the velvet ropes. With dark suited, earpiece wearing bouncers, I thought this is not the place for me. Having never been the club going type, or the type to stand in a line outside of an establishment, only to have to stand in a line inside at the bar to get a drink I had my misgivings about P.O.V.. I immediately went to the bouncer and gave him the reservation name and viola, I was led into the hotel lobby to meet my friends. 

After a round of drinks in the lobby, we were taken to wait in a small elevator line. Once shuttled to the top, I realized what all of the fuss and wait was for... the view! There are two spaces on the roof to enjoy: the covered outdoor terrace, and an indoor lounge. The outdoor space provides a panorama to the west, including looking onto the White House, and the National Mall. While sipping my mojito, I spotted 21 American flags flying atop office buildings, and thought about what a different place our Nation's capital is at night.

The indoor lounge has a grand view of the Washington Monument. The bar here is 20 foot of backlit marble that almost glows in the otherwise dark room. This is where they juice fresh pineapples, oranges, and ginger, and cut 800-1000 limes each weekend night. It is also where they mold four different shapes of ice to accompany their unique cocktails. A couple of nights a week they have live jazz here, but last Saturday there was a DJ spinning tracks to a sexy crowd. 

During the morning hours they serve brunch on weekends, and weekdays there is a large lunch crowd. Guess what? They even have high chairs! Although P.O.V. is not kid friendly at night, I think it would be a wonderful place to treat the kiddos to brunch and a history lesson, an I spy game of how many flags can you count, and perhaps even an ice making lesson if the bartender is willing. If you're not interested in bringing the kids, it's perfect for date night, or to catch up with friends. Just remember reservations are recommended to avoid the wait! Also, see this great review from the Washington Post.




1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize this was the old Hotel Washington! What a great view- it is a fantastic date place...or at least it was back in the day. Love the review.

    ReplyDelete