Saturday, August 8, 2009

MOM'S NIGHT OUT: A MOVIE AND DINNER IN GEORGETOWN

Late yesterday afternoon, I saw Julie & Julia, and went to dinner with a friend of mine in Georgetown. She is a mother of two year old twins, and like me, rarely gets away from her family for some quality time alone with friends. Since Milo was born, I can count on one hand how many times I've been out alone with friends without my husband. I don't think I'm alone with not leaving or making time for yourself. Ladies, speak up if this sounds like you!

Now that Milo is older and has a more predictable schedule, I am trying to go out at least one or two nights a month with friends. I will gladly put aside laundry, cooking, and cleaning, for a few nights of fun with my girlfriends. These gals, stay at home moms, or not, face the same work/husband/baby challenges that I do. For some reason, I've been reluctant in the past year to desert my duties as wife and mother for some much needed and well deserved me time. 

Last night was a good example of happy mommy, happy husband/baby/house. Having that time away allowed me to recharge my batteries, a kind of mini vacation, a pushing of the reset button. I felt great when I arrived home, and even this morning I am in a jolly good mood. 

The movie was sweet and uplifting. I think because of it, blogging will be hip again (as if it hasn't been hip all along!) as will cooking at home, and the domestic arts in general. It inspired me to continue this blog no matter what the outcome, and go to the Smithsonian to have a look into Julia's kitchen! On that note, Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment